Sunday 29 January 2012

Veal and mash.

Hungry and in the mood to cook, I found some veal fillets in the fridge but couldn't decide what to do with them. As usual when in doubt, I turned to Google. I came accross a recipe by Michael Caines (http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/panfriedvealfilletwi_88996) and inspired by his recipe I made this dish.

Ingredients:

Mashed potato

Potato
Milk
Butter
Garlic

Sauce:

5 shallots
few sprigs of thyme
110g Button mushrooms, sliced.
100ml Pedro Ximenez
100ml chicken stock
100ml double cream
butter

Veal:

2 Veal fillets
Thyme, few sprigs
Garlic, 3 cloves.
Shiitake mushrooms
Lemon juice

To make the sauce soften 5 chopped shallots in butter. Add thyme and button mushrooms, cook until mushrooms are golden. Add Pedro Ximenez, reduce by half. Add chicken stock, reduce by half.




 Add double cream, reduce by half. Sieve. Season. Whisk in a few knobs of butter. Keep warm.



I absolutely loved the flavour of this sauce, but next time I will double the recipe because once I had sieved it there was a disappointingly small amount.

Next the mash. Made in the usual way, but using my favourite kitchen gadget.



Behold my Williams Sonoma potato ricer! I don't know how I lived without it, I now have smooth lump-free mash every time.

I roasted 3 cloves of garlic (on some salt wrapped in tin foil at 180) until golden and mashed into a puree with the back of a knife. Stir into the potato with the milk and butter. Season








Melt some butter in a pan, add a few sprigs of thyme, 3 cloves of garlic (squished with back of knife, skin on), and the veal (seasoned on both sides). Cook on a medium heat for 3 minutes each side. Remove veal, cover with foil and leave to rest.


Add shiitake mushrooms to the same pan, cook for 3-4 mins. Season and squeeze of lemon.


Stir the veal juices from the resting plate into the sauce, and serve with wilted greens.



Delicious. I will definitely be making this one again.


Afterthought: Could have done with more sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment