Friday 20 January 2012

Takeaway Heaven.


I am a fussy eater, and there's nothing I can do about it. I would love to be able to eat my way through all the various offerings in my environs, but on the whole I find myself dissatisfied and wishing I hadn't eaten at all. Too salty, greasy, soggy, bland, unidentifiable, overcooked, raw, of dubious origin...are among my most common complaints. I often feel that even someone prone to culinary ineptitude such as myself,  could have done a better job. Not so with Izgara, an unassuming Turkish Ocakbasi restaurant in North London.

This place does what it does amazingly well (photos do not do it justice), and when I find something I like, I stick with it. Religiously. This is why I always order the same thing- lamb shish (large). Generous cubes of lamb, perfectly cooked, marinated in who knows what, that makes it so delicious its ridiculous.





I get everything separately so I can put it together just so. First, I spread a generous layer of hoummus onto the flatbread. Next a layer of shredded carrot and red cabbage, and on top the meat. By this time there is at least a tablespoon of meat juices in the container, which I pour on top. Finally a generous squeeze of lemon, roll up, and eat (with green chillies on the side).

I had intended to take a photo of it all put together, but greed got the better of me and I ate it.  Can only be a good sign.



Izgara, 11 Hendon Lane, N3 1RT.

£-  Just over £20.00 for 3. Bargain.

No comments:

Post a Comment