Tuesday 25 December 2012

Smooth Cranberry Sauce


'
Tis that time of year again when I can happily potter about the kitchen for hours experimenting with this and that (more on my Dulce de leche cupcakes later). Despite my efforts last year, I really wasn't happy with my cranberry sauce. I like it smooth and blended it well to achieve the desired consistency, however this resulted in a bitterness that no amount of sugar could cure. New method employed this year, and I am much happier with the result.

Ingredients

500g cranberries
500ml water
350g sugar



     Add cranberries and water to a pan. Heat until soft (they will pop in the pan).




Pass  through a sieve.




                                                                       You will be left with a smooth liquid.

Pour back in the pan and add the sugar, stirring to dissolve. This will look like a huge amount of sugar, but the cranberries do need it.  Bring to the boil. At this point pass it through a sieve again, and that's it.





Decant into serving bowls (this recipe made 3 small bowls). When cool, cling and refrigerate; it will set quite quickly.

This was sweet but not sickly and still retained a tartness from the cranberries. Bring on the turkey!



No comments:

Post a Comment